1945 - 1957

The buildings of the Physiological Institute of  the Charité, outlying in Hessische Straße 2-4, had been spared the severe damages of war – except for the large glass windows.

But a listing of all the directors of the institute shows a quite difficult postwar period. Up to the middle of the sixties the management was mostly in the hands of temporary directors with terms of office between 4 and 42 months. If as a result or reason of the frequent change of directors – the structural condition of the institute constantly worsened (draft and at the same time defective ventilation of the interior house, penetrating rainwater, insufficient heating, partially walled up windows, insufficient power supply, damaged floors, inadequate hygienic facilities).

The awarding of rooms to the Institute of General Biology and to the II. Physical Institute leads among others to the common use of the joinery, porter’s, caretaker’s and fire-teazer’s services, workshops and animal facilities. The students’ dining-hall was enlarged, and the administration of Biochemistry (under S.M. Rapoport) and Physiology were being put together. The number of students rised to 500 per year, and the professors  undefinedS.M. Rapoport and Ludwig Nicolai tried their best to get the lecture hall enlarged and receive a new building for laboratories. After the new distribution of rooms under S.M. Rapoport on September 28, 1957, the situation for the Physiology did not get any better. 

The situation in the field of teaching was difficult for several reasons, and the Institute was dependent on guest lecturers in order to fulfil the most elementary preclinical teaching obligations.