Emil Heinrich du Bois-Reymond (07.11.1818-26.12.1898) Physiologe; erster Lehrstuhlinhaber für Physiologie; Ordinarius f. Physiologie (1858-1896);Direktor des physiologischen Appaates und des physiol. Laboratoriums(1859-1879), des physiologischen Institutes (1879-1897)..Fotovorlage.Reproduktion.s/w.

1858 - 1896

When Johannes Müller died in 1858 there was still not existing any Institute of Physiology in Berlin, only a physiological laboratory which since 1851 has been located – separated from the anatomy -  in the western part of the university building, and an assistant was assigned to it for the first time in 1857.

undefinedEmil du Bois-Reymond (born in Berlin in the year 1818) studied medicine in Berlin since 1839 and has been interested in a field of research, which should become his lifework: The research of animal electricity.

In 1845 du Bois-Reymond belonged to the founders of the Physical Society of Berlin. In 1846 he had been qualified for lecturing physiology. From 1849 to 1853 he was teacher of Anatomy at the Berlin Academy of Arts, in 1849 he became the assistant of Johannes Müller. In 1855 he was called Extraordinary Professor, and in 1858 he was appointed full professor –

nevertheless, it  took him nearly another two decades until he could realize his plans – facing many difficulties – to found his own institute. In 1877 it was opened in the Dorotheenstrasse on the site of an abandoned artillery machine shop.

Furtheron, the Physical Institute (director: Hermann von Helmholtz), the Pharmacological Institute (Oskar Liebreich), and the 2nd Chemical Institute (Karl Friedrich Rammelsberg) were founded which locally and in substance interlinked natural sciences and medical basic research  under up-to-date conditions (large desks for experiments being connected with manifold media, a lecture hall with glass ceiling and blinds.